List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Developing for KDE Based Linux OS
From:       Myriam Schweingruber <myriam () kde ! org>
Date:       2012-10-13 8:49:20

Hi Rohit,

On Sat, Oct 13, 2012 at 9:20 AM, Rohit <rohitink1@gmail.com> wrote:

> Respected Sir,
>
> I am seriously considering developing from the KDE based Linux Operating
> Systems. Also, I have interest in participating in Google Summer of Code
> under your organisation.
>
> I have knowledge of C, PHP, Javascript, Python(basic) and Objective-C
> Programming Languages. I am willing to learn any programming language needed
> for the purpose. It will not take time as i am already familiar with the
> concept.
>
> Also, I have been using Linux Operating systems since 2 Years. So, Please
> Guide me in the Right Direction and tell me what All I need to learn for the
> purpose.

If you are interested in developing for KDE you should start by reading this:

http://flossmanuals.net/kde-guide/

Just a few remarks:

while there are certainly quite a bunch of respectable Sirs around in
KDE there are also women like me, and in Free Software we usually do
not address each other in such formal terms.

Then, we do not develop a Linux OS, we develop KDE and KDE related
Software, just pick your favorite one and get in touch with the
individual project directly.

This years Google Summer of Code is over, and we do not know yet if we
will be selected to participate next year, but that shouldn't be a
reason not to start with helping in KDE right now :)

KDE is written in C++/Qt, so try to make yourself familiar with that.

Since you are from India I also strongly suggest you get in touch with
the fabulous people of KDE India, they have their mailing list here:

Hope this helps.

Regards, Myriam

http://www.fsfe.org