List:       kde-devel
Subject:    =?UTF-8?B?UmVidXR0YWwgb24gZ3N0cmVhbWVyIGFkdmVydCwgKHdhcyBSZTogUmU6IFtO?= =?UTF-8?B?ZXBvbXVrXSBOZXBvb
From:       Thomas Lübking <thomas.luebking () gmail ! com>
Date:       2012-10-09 0:42:31

On Montag, 8. Oktober 2012 23:38:40 CEST Kevin Kofler wrote:

> So in short, if you want multimedia to "just work" in your
> software, use GStreamer!

*lol* - YMMD

I just installed *all* gstreamer packages (good, bad, ugly, plugins - except the \
ffmpeg one) and gst123 (Archlinux), then attempted playback on my "horror" file (got \
it in 48/96 pcm, vorbis, flac and mp3 in varying quality. Composition is "HDR audio" \
-if such exists- and I know every note ;-)

Very *basic* test:

$ gst123  file.mp3
                                                                                      \
 Playing file.mp3
Error: The autoaudiosink element is not working.                                      \
 => file cannot be played and will be removed from playlist

$ gst123 -a alsa file.mp3

Playing file.mp3
Error: The autoaudiosink element is not working.                                      \
 => file cannot be played and will be removed from playlist

$ gst123 -a alsa=hw:0 file.mp3

Playing file.mp3
Error: The autoaudiosink element is not working.                                      \
 => file cannot be played and will be removed from playlist

$ gst123 -a oss file.mp3

Playing file.mp3
Error: The configured audiotarget ossaudioout element is not working.                 \
 => file cannot be played and will be removed from playlist

(ok, that was frankly expectable - i didn't load the alsa-oss module)

Me silly or gst123 broken?
-> pacman -Sy clementine

Nope, even worse:
"GStreamer could not create the element: alsasink. Please make sure that you have \
installed all necessary GStreamer plugins (e.g. OGG and MP3)"

(Needless to say, that they *are* installed)

I'm sure that's all my fault, but "just work" - yeah, sure...

sudo pacman -Sy ffmpeg mplayer xine-lib xine-ui mpd mpc mpg123
-> any of them, aplay and sox "just worked", so why does the "just work" promoted \
gstreamer not?

(FTR: i've oc also tried a couple of other mp3's -fully, semi and non-legal \
downloads- to ensure it's not the particular encoding)

==> Idea:
Do I actually need pulseaudio to have it "just work"?
(well, and if - how do i assign the glitches then...?)

Google says "likely" (the error message seems quite common, lucky me)

So I installed PA - which apparently finds it funny to pass output through the rears \
only. Just attached the Headphones there (emu10k1, i'm sure it's configurable - but \
why the rears by default?)

Clementine btw. does still not play anything, same error message. -> Tested playback \
on gst123 which you may at your will hold responsible for the "result"

Ok. Now how do I assign what seems to be buffer underruns ("clicks & notches", sounds \
at least quite like audio on Linux back in 1998 - nothing -NOTHING- else causes that, \
not even a funny sox chain i built up on the fly, insanely converting frequency and \
bitrate) to either GST or PA for a fair rant?

I'm sure it's possible to tweak buffer and delay config in pulse-daemon.conf until \
it's no longer an annoyance (if it's only in PA and not in GST), but frankly: why \
should I?

Sound works (actually "just works") w/o CPU overhead, major latency or buffer \
underruns by avoiding that combo.

Bottom line:

Sorry to say, but gstreamer (as provided by stock Archlinux, to be fair and if that's \
important) does *not* work.

Not "just" and (well, alongside PA, that is) not reasonably either.

Please don't get me wrong.
I'm not complaining - basically because I do not and did never really care.

I just wanted to check on this little advertising mail ("hey, maybe things actually \
*did* improve around this?")

So if you wanted to say:

> So in short, if you want multimedia to "just work"
to a certain degree, maybe depending on your HW
> in your software,
on the audio stack set up by fedora
> use GStreamer!

"Maybe", i can't really say.
But "just works" is -as far as i can say as of now- "enthusiastic" :-(

Cheers,
Thomas