List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: [Nepomuk] Nepomuk - Moving away from Strigi
From:       Reindl Harald <h.reindl () thelounge ! net>
Date:       2012-10-08 20:57:06

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Am 08.10.2012 22:53, schrieb Martin Sandsmark:
> I am arguing against the entire reason for having this thread. Vishesh
> shouldn't have to go around worrying about this crap just because RedHat has
> bad lawyers and has double standards when it comes to the software they are
> shipping.

not so easy in the US

> My suggestion would be that we just take a stand and force RedHat to re-
> evaluate their stance on ffmpeg (or software that is covered by software
> patents in general, like the kernel itself), so we don't have to deal with
> this bullshit in the future.

besides the redhat / patent / law discussion:

if the plugin-system is flexible enough that you can install
any however linked plugin later without introduce dependecies
for any core-component which sould be optional -> all perfect

in this case nothing is touching the lawyers and the enduser
loving a as much as tiny sezup does not get more and more
packages as cross-dependecnies

IMHO this is the right way to go in any software-development
and at the begin it was NOT clear if the core would introduce
ffmpeg and wahtever else dependencies for whatever distribution