List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Re: [Nepomuk] Nepomuk - Moving away from Strigi
From:       Martin =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Gr=E4=DFlin?= <mgraesslin () kde ! org>
Date:       2012-10-08 20:26:30

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Monday 08 October 2012 22:15:03 Martin Sandsmark wrote:
> On Monday 8. October 2012 21.08.02 Sven Burmeister wrote:
> > Please do not make this a thread about things lawyers have to decide. Fact
> > is that openSUSE and Fedora do not not ship this kind of software because
> > they want to annoy users but because there are reasons.
>
> WTF? This is something that is actively ruining the impression people get of
> our project, and we're not allowed to question it?
>
> Sorry, but multimedia is something I care about in KDE, and now some people
> come in and rip out hard work without even trying to explain why, or think
> about why they're doing it. Free software multimedia has come so far, only
> for some bull-headed distributions to try to fuck it up again. Trying to
> accommodate obviously faulty processes in downstream is not something we
> should encourage, IMHO.
>
> Actively working to limit our freedoms is a Bad Thing™.
while I personally completely agree with you and everything you have written,
I think this is the wrong place to discuss it and it will not solve the
problem.

Neither Kevin (Fedora), Scott (Kubuntu) nor Adrian (SUSE) came up with the
rules, they are just pointing out the policies. While I do not agree with
their policies I can kind of understand it.

What everybody can do is to bring the question back to the distributions that
they might reconsider the situation and bringing back the feedback that
Upstream really wants to have working multimedia in the downstream.

Though especially for the distributions situated in the USA I have little hope
that they might change anything. The patent system there is extremely broken
and there is quite a difference between knowing that the software breaks
patents or some bogous IP claims like SCO.

We all know that situation and we won't change it here on kde-devel. I'd love
to do so, but it won't happen :-(

So let's all calm down and work on good solutions :-)

Cheers
Martin Gräßlin