List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: [Nepomuk] Nepomuk - Moving away from Strigi
From:       Martin Sandsmark <martin.sandsmark () kde ! org>
Date:       2012-10-08 18:59:49

On Monday 8. October 2012 20.06.47 Reindl Harald wrote:
> this argumentation is invalid
> with this argumentation you could smoke crack everywhere
> as long you are not catched and call it legal

Are you even trying to understand what I'm talking about? Patents are being
actively enforced against users of the Linux kernel, not the ffmpeg project,
and some people still spread lies about the oppposite being true, and thereby
decreasing the overall impression and quality of free software.

> how and who should anybody enforce?
> there is no single company related to a linux-distribution
> shipping ffmpeg-binaries (SueSE, Redhat, even debian does not)

False.

http://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=ffmpeg
http://www.archlinux.org/packages/extra/x86_64/ffmpeg/

(These are the distros I use.)

> > On the other hand, people have been sued for using the Linux kernel
> > because of software patents.
>
> where?
> where did you see any legal judgment?

«Google has lost a Texas lawsuit that claims the core of Linux infringes on a
privately held patent, raising fears of similar claims against other users of
the open source operating system.»
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/5aeb5dae-6d27-11e0-83fe-00144feab49a.html

Please stop stop trying to ruin desktop Linux with this retarded hypocrisy. We
finally have native support for a majority of multimedia formats and codecs,
and then you come with this retarded legal FUD and pull it out again.

--
Martin Sandsmark
KDE