List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Qt5 opengl
From:       Thiago Macieira <thiago () kde ! org>
Date:       2012-09-21 16:34:29

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On sexta-feira, 21 de setembro de 2012 15.16.10, Damian Ivanov wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am trying to create some plasmoids using QtQuick. I was a bit
> worried about that news:
> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTE4NTk - Qt5 will
> only work with opengl enabled drivers or using SW rendering
> I think this news is a lie though, I never saw a clear statement if
> this is true or not

It's a blatant lie. It's not even news. It's just a rant by a developer who
did a cursory search, found old data, misinterpreted the data he did find and
finally did not bother to verify with the people who could give truthful
information.

Just look at the sheer number of comments in that post saying the poster is
wrong and that it's the worst article ever posted on Phoronix.

> So will Qt5 only work with opengl enabled drivers or using SW rendering?

Qt 5 works with OpenGL and with SW rendering. QPainter is SW-rendering only,
except when the viewport is a QGLWidget. There is no graphics system selection
anymore: it's all raster.

> Will QtQuick 2 only work with opengl enabled drivers or using SW rendering?

QtQuick 2 requires an OpenGL 2 or OpenGL ES 2 API. What that API is using
behind the scenes is none of QtQuick2's concern.

The possibilities are:
 - hardware-accelerated OpenGL 2 or OpenGL ES 2
 - software rasteriser OpenGL 2 (Mesa)
 - OpenGL ES 2 translated to DirectX 10 (ANGLE)

You choose what's best for your system and what you can support.

> http://phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?73827-KDE-On-Wayland-Won-t-Happen
> -Anytime-Soon#post287845

This has nothing to do with OpenGL. It's simply because of lack of manpower
and because Qt 5 itself is delayed.

      PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
      E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358