On 18/09/2012, at 6:17 PM, Ian Wadham wrote: > On my Linux system I have not had to run kbuildsycoca in all the > ten years or so I have been working on KDE. So when does KDE > run it? As part of the build and install process for KDE libs and apps? > Whenever you run an app? Whenever you start the KDE desktop? Thank you, everybody, for answering my primary questions. > Also it would be helpful if someone could point me to some doco > on the *architecture* of KDE. What background processes run? What > do they do? What are the interactions between them? What is the > sequence of processes and events when the KDE desktop starts? > = > Which of those processes are necessary for running KDE apps? > Which can be omitted or "bound off" somehow if you are not running > on a KDE desktop? But still these other questions remain =85 Basically, what do you need to know to run KDE applications successfully on a non-KDE, non-Linux desktop? Or is that just not universally feasible? Perhaps some KDE apps "travel well" and others not at all =85 :-( =85 but which is which? Browsing the KDE repository, I have found: https://projects.kde.org/projects/kde/kde-workspace/repository/revisions/ma= ster/changes/startkde.cmake https://projects.kde.org/projects/kde/kdelibs/repository/revisions/master/e= ntry/kded/DESIGN https://projects.kde.org/projects/kde/kdelibs/repository/revisions/master/e= ntry/kded/HOWTO The first one seems to be the Shell script that starts KDE and has quite a few comments, but it is odd that it has a .cmake suffix. Are the above all the documentation there is on how KDE works? There are scads of processes in: https://projects.kde.org/projects/kde/kde-workspace/repository/ https://projects.kde.org/projects/kde/kde-runtime/repository but which of them would be essential on a non-KDE, non-Linux desktop? And how can I tell? On Apple Macports, if we wish to run KDE apps, we are advised to have DBus processes running (root and user), plus kdeinit4. We install kde-runtime, but not kde-workspace. I see kuiserver sometimes. Dr Konqui sometimes works, but more often than not I have to kill it. It seems to clash with the Apple equivalent. = Then there is KNotificationManager, which seems to grumble every time my own (rather simple) apps run a KMessageBox =85 Is KDE really portable to other platforms? And is KDE documented? Best regards, Ian W. >> Visit http://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde-devel#unsub to unsubscrib= e <<