List:       kde-devel
Subject:    KConfig OpenFlags Reminder
From:       Harald Sitter <sitter () kde ! org>
Date:       2012-09-17 17:46:42

Aloha,

today I stumbled upon two cases of incorrect KConfig usage, so I'd
like to encourage everyone to check that their KConfig OpenFlags make
sense.

In particular in 99% of all cases you want the CascadeConfig flag. It
enables cascading through all config layers (i.e. user > random layers
> /etc > installpath). If the flag is not set particularly
distributions and sysadmins will have a lot of fun since config
cascading is a common way to roll out modified settings and unless you
use the CascadeConfig flag this will not work *at all*.

Only leave this flag out if it definitely makes no sense for your
specific config (e.g. a config file that only contains specific email
accounts). Also note that the API documentation is somewhat unclear in
that the IncludeGlobals flag does *not* include CascadeConfig.

http://api.kde.org/4.9-api/kdelibs-apidocs/kdecore/html/classKConfig.html

HS