List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Status of QML Porting
From:       Weng Xuetian <wengxt () gmail ! com>
Date:       2012-09-16 12:10:21

On Sun, Sep 16, 2012 at 6:13 AM, David Edmundson
<david@davidedmundson.co.uk> wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 16, 2012 at 2:38 AM, Weng Xuetian <wengxt@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, Sep 14, 2012 at 3:53 PM, Alex Fiestas <afiestas@kde.org> wrote:
>>> Hey there to everyone!
>>>
>>> Months ago we started to port all plasmoids to QML, we have come a long way
>>> and now it seems we are getting close to finish the huge task.
>>>
>>> During this short period of time, a lot of people have worked on QML: GSoC,
>>> sporadic developers, etc. Because of that we have a little bit of mess in
>>> terms of what's done, what have to be finished, who is working on what, etc.
>>>
>>> To solve this, we have created/improved a wikipage with a nice table where we
>>> can list all Plasmoids and Containers that need porting, as well of the status
>>> and who is working on it.
>>>
>>> It is important that we keep this table up to date so we can coordinate better
>>> the effort between everybody willing to work on it.
>>>
>>> This is the site:
>>> http://community.kde.org/Plasma/QMLPorting
>>>
>>> We have moved old bits of information to it, so even though the table is quite
>>> full of information it is surelly outdated.
>>>
>>> Everybody is invited to take a look at the page, and updated it if there is
>>> some information missing or incorrect.
>>> besides being able to better coordinate, we can have the point of the
>>> situation and see what plasmoids is realistic to push for inclusion in 4.10.
>>>
>>> Cheerz !

>> I'm currently maintaining a plasmoid which is hard to port to qml (due
>> to qml limitation), I have tried several month ago but finally gave
>> up..
>> Any advice for my situation? Implement a qml wrapper for my c++
>> widget? Or leave it there?
>
> I would suggest you tell us what Plasmoid it is,and what the QML
> limitations you are facing are and let us help you.
>
> Making a QDeclarativeItem (which is sort of a "qml wrapper for C++",
> but I wouldn't use those words) for a widget in many situations is a
> perfectly sensible way to go.

kdeplasma-addons - kimpanel

The difficultes I met last time are:
1. Floating window support is missing. (I need something like Plasma's
tooltip, but control by me, Plasma.Dialog have some extra feature I
don't need and doesn't seems work well.)
2. Resize the window to fit the content seems break....(Resizing a
widget dynamically is always nightmare... I'm using quite a lot code
to make sure it works correctly)

Other small problem might be.. I need text readability very much, so
I'm using drawHalo (Just like in tooltip) under in my custom text
widget.