List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Dolphin performance
From:       Loïc Grobol <loic.grobol () gmail ! com>
Date:       2012-09-03 17:03:02

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Monday 2012-September-03 Nikos Chantziaras wrote :
> Something is seriously wrong there.  It should never take 15s to open
> Dolphin.  Even on the oldest machines I tried (a Celeron 2.4Ghz, a
> machine that's a decade old) Dolphin starts up in under 2 seconds.
>
> Are you RAM limited?  If you're using something like 256MB RAM, then
> yes, that would be normal.  But if you really only have 256MB RAM, you
> shouldn't be using KDE to begin with :-/

No, that is just because I have far more application open simultaneously than
I should, including heavy computations. I have not taken time to manage their
niceness lately, so that is why Dolphin is so slow here. But even so, I don't
think I am the only one to use many applications at once. I don't know if a
background process is a good way to do it, but I think that base utilities
(Kate, Dolphin, maybe KMail/Kontact) should default to higher priorities.