List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Dolphin performance
From:       Tomaz Canabrava <tcanabrava () kde ! org>
Date:       2012-09-03 15:44:42

2012/9/3 Miguel Carvajal <macarvajal@estudiantes.fisica.uh.cu>:
> Hi,
>
> I wonder why Dolphin is not integrated into the K desktop environment as a
> background running program that start when the workspaces starts like does
> Windows with the explorer program.

Why should the program be opened while nobody's using it? The first
time it is launched it will load some stuff to the memory, when it's
launched again some of the memory will remain in the cache, so it will
load faster.

> It is a  heavy application and it take a while to get opened once (this is
> an example) I launch it from the kirichoff application launcher or  krunner.
> In windows the process is instantaneous. I think this is a serious lack of
> performance.

serious lack of performance = ~1s opening a program?
I do agree that 'instantaneous' is better than ~1s, but that's not serious.