List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Using KIO to retrive HTTP Headers [GSoC student help]
From:       Aish Raj Dahal <dahalaishraj () gmail ! com>
Date:       2012-07-09 11:21:09

> On Thursday 28 June 2012 06:13:15 Aish Raj Dahal wrote:
>> The issue is that KIO attempts to download the entire file before
>> being able to query for its HTTP header responses. This behavior may
>> be taken lightly for smaller files, however for larger files
>> downloading an entire file, just to get the HTTP header response
>> associated with it seems to be impractical.
>
> As Albert said, the headers are sent as soon as they are received, and the
> mimetype signal is emitted before the contents of the file, this is by contract
> for KIO::get(). This is how we can put the job on hold while launching the
> proper application for that url, and the app then resumes the download in
> order to get the file contents.
>

> Alternatively you could use KIO::mimetype which performs an HTTP HEAD request
> on the given URL, but we had the experience (many years ago) that some
> webservers didn't reply correctly to HEAD requests.

Hello,

As you've suggested, I've made an attempt to get the headers using the
mimetype signal as well as KIO::mimetype.
Here( https://github.com/ardahal/kio-learner/ ) is a link to a git
repository containing each type of implementation of getting headers
on the branches "experimental" and "ard-dev" respectively. The branch
experimental uses KIO::mimetype, while the branch "ard-dev" uses
mimetype signal. Unfortunately both the implementations fail to get
the headers.

In case you'd like to have a more quick look to the files here are the
links to their online versions
1) Using KIO::mimetype
https://github.com/ardahal/kio-learner/blob/experimental/metalinkHttp/metalinkHttp.cpp
2) Using mimetype signal in KIO::TransferJob
https://github.com/ardahal/kio-learner/blob/ard-dev/metalinkHttp/metalinkHttp.cpp

I hope to have help from your side.

Thanks a lot.

Best Regards,