List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Nokia cut off the qt team
From:       John Layt <jlayt () kde ! org>
Date:       2012-06-15 7:20:37

On 15 June 2012 08:03,  <wengxt@gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't know whether all people have read this, but it already happened.
>
> What shall kde do to make sure Qt development actively in the future?
>
> I don't know whether this can also be a chance for kde be more active in Qt
> development.

As far as we are aware, no Qt people were directly affected by the
cuts, and Qt5 is still under active development by Nokia.  The cuts
did affect the Meltemi team in Ulm who are Nokia's major user of Qt,
but it is not yet clear what Nokia's plans are for Qt itself .

KDE is already active in Qt development under Open Governance along
with many other organisations and for Qt there is life after Nokia
should the worst happen.

We may find out more at the Qt Contributors Summit next week.  Until
then I'd ask people to keep the speculation off this list.

To quote Lars Knoll, the Chief Maintainer, on Twitter yesterday:

"There's things one can influence and things one can't. #Qt5 is
fortunately in the first category."

John.