List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Need some help with Dolphin
From:       Peter Penz <peter.penz19 () gmail ! com>
Date:       2012-06-12 16:09:55

On 06/12/2012 04:48 PM, Srikanth S wrote:
[...]
> Also, if the basics are available, the act of caching the result can be
> left configurable by the user - use it with permission from IMDb etc.
>
> So, let me refine my question even more: is there a way to invoke a
> Strigi-analyzer on demand (on file hover e.g.)?

This is done already if Nepomuk is turned off, but it is not
Dolphin-specific: The data shown in Dolphin's information panel and
tooltips is provided by the class KFileMetaDataWidget from kdelibs (see
http://api.kde.org/4.8-api/kdelibs-apidocs/kio/html/classKFileMetaDataWidget.html
for details). This class uses Nepomuk if it is turned on and as fallback
uses Strigi directly (-> the metadata is read each time by parsing the
file).

> Or is there a way to
> generate content dynamically as part of a tooltip?

It is created dynamically already by KFileMetaDataWidget by retrieving
the resulting metadata provided by Strigi. The data provided by Strigi
depends on the available Strigi-plugins for a specific MIME-type.

So in theory writing a new Strigi-plugin that reads from IMDb would
already be sufficient.

> Also, if the basics are available, the act of caching the result can be
> left configurable by the user - use it with permission from IMDb etc.

This won't be possible very easy: If Nepomuk is turned on the result
will get cached and this is not configurable yet...

I hope this helps you to think about whether it is worth for you to
investigate into this ;-) Please note that any decision regarding the
Strigi-plugins is out of scope of Dolphin and it's up to the Strigi
maintainers to decide whether such a plugin will get accepted.

Best regards,
Peter