List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KNotify in 4.8 missing?
From:       Kevin Krammer <krammer () kde ! org>
Date:       2012-06-03 12:25:54

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Sunday, 2012-06-03, Lindsay Mathieson wrote:
> On Sun, 3 Jun 2012 11:49:41 AM you wrote:
> > The api docs reference KNotify
> >
> >   http://tinyurl.com/6mo3j4w
> >
> > A useful class for setting up and responding to notifications in the
> > system tray. However knotify.h does not exist anywhere on my kde 4.8
> > install, nor does a package seract (apt-file) locate it. This is on
> > Kubuntu 12.04
> >
> > Packaging oversight in kubuntu or something else?
>
> to answer my own question - KNotification should be used instead?

Yes, it is KDE's application side API for notification while KNotify is KDE's
workspace side implementaiton of the API.

As a rule of thumb, when you find a class' documentation have a look at the
path component of the URL. If it contains kdelibs it is application API, if it
contains kde-runtime it is the implementation.

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring