List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KIO::NetAccess::fish_execute(plasmapkg -u ..) doesn't work
From:       David Edmundson <david () davidedmundson ! co ! uk>
Date:       2012-05-31 15:30:21

On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 1:43 PM, Giorgos Tsiapaliwkas
<terietor@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> this year I have been accepted as a GSoC student for the Plasma Project.
> My task this week is to implement a remote installer which will install
> plasma
> packages using plasmapkg.
>
> You can find the code at plasmate's repository in the branch
> terietor/remoteinstaller.
>
> I execute the code
>
> KIO::NetAccess::fish_execute("fish://username@hostname", "plasmapkg -u
> destination",  m_widget);
>
> but It doesn't install the package.

Wasn't this discussed on IRC this morning?

fish_execute does not set up X forwarding. So $DISPLAY is empty.

PlasmaPkg is a KApplication
KApplication connects to a display. If it can't find one it just dies.

To test run

"DISPLAY=FOO plasmapkg"
will fail

"DISPLAY=FOO ls"
will work.

you /could/ try and set $DISPLAY to :0 which will probably be the
display of the host the other side.. or as I'm sure I read, change
plasmapkg to QCoreApplication which doesn't have this.