List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: using unixodbc-dev instead of libiodbc2-dev
From:       Sune Vuorela <nospam () vuorela ! dk>
Date:       2012-05-25 15:13:30

On 2012-05-25, Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo@kde.org> wrote:
> (assuming virtodbc_r is indeed the correct library from unixodbc to use; i
> don't know, just going from what's in the patch you posted)

This one isn't about switching to unixodbc, but bypassing the
drivermanager bits called 'odbc' completely.  The reason for this is
that we don't actually want to ask for a generic odbc driver, but we
want virtuoso odbc driver, and nothing else.

(kind of like KTrading for a text editor component if you know you need
katepart and can't live with anything else)

The reason why this actually succeeds (and will succeed) is a
combination of a couple of things:

1) on glibc-systems, you can actually link to a plugin
2) the abi of the odbc drivers is given by external entities
3) when linking something in 'weird directories' we get a RPATH
automatically
4) lotsofmagic

As such, the solution is pretty elegant and iirc originates from Steve
Langasek of Debian (and Ubuntu) fame.

/Sune