List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: GSoC idea: improving scanning and OCR in KDE (skanlite/kooka)
From:       Andreas Pakulat <apaku () gmx ! de>
Date:       2012-03-07 9:46:13

On 07.03.12 10:23:32, todd rme wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 6, 2012 at 8:03 PM, Klaas Freitag <freitag@kde.org> wrote:
> > On 06.03.2012 18:02, todd rme wrote:
[...]
> > These kind of things. Not sure if a kio is cool for any of these.
>
> A gui able to do all the things you listed would necessarily be
> extremely complicated and likely difficult to use, unless most of the
> tasks were automated push-button affairs.  In the latter case, there
> is little advantage over a kio slave.  I would think that a kio slave
> would be more natural, since users would not need to know terminology
> or the menu structure.

Maybe I didn't use enough of the more fancy kio-slaves, but I have a
hard time imagining how I'd be able to use this with say konqueror. I'd
go to

kscan://<scannername>/

And then see whats been scanned, but how do I initiate a scan? Do I need
to go to some special url? If so, how do I trigger the OCR creation
after scanning?

Note I'm assuming my scanner does not have any buttons for this stuff on
its own, which seems to still be a reasonable assumption even for
consumer-devices (as a quick browse of my favourite hardware dealer
shows).

Andreas