List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: GSoC idea: improving scanning and OCR in KDE (skanlite/kooka)
From:       Kåre_Särs <kare.sars () iki ! fi>
Date:       2012-03-06 16:55:08

Hi Jos=E9,

On Tuesday 06 March 2012 14:16:34 Klaas Freitag wrote:
> On 06.03.2012 14:00, Jos=E9 Manuel Santamar=EDa Lema wrote:
> Hey Jos=E9,
> =

> > I'm considering to apply to GSoC this year, and if I do, I would like to
> > improve the status of scanning and optical character recognition in KDE;
> > being more specific:
> > =

> > =

> > What I want to achieve
> > --------------------------------
> > So... to sum up: it was/is easier to produce good djvu documents with
> > propietary software. I want a KDE'ish program to replace the expensive
> > "Document Express".
> =

> Thats a very ambitious target.
> =

> =

> > So... looks like the tasks to do to achive my goal would be:
> > 1. If needed, extend libksane functionality in order to make it a good
> > replacement for the old libkscan.
> =

> I think thats already finished :-)
> =

> > 2. Port kooka to the modern libksane.
> =

> Cool, but I think Kooka as an app needs much more than just a new
> underlying lib. Graphics apps nowadays are much more cool than Kooka
> ever was. So if you pick that I think you should be willing to bring
> Kooka to an up to date state. However I am not so sure if there is still
> a demand for that kind of app...
> =

> > 3. Add ocropus support to kooka (I heard with ocropus you can get the
> > coordinates of the texts, but I don't know for sure yet)
> > 4. Code something in kooka to produce djvu documents.
> =

> The idea back in the days was to provide a component for OCR which can
> be reused in all apps which deal with images, similar to what the
> ScanService is (you can find it for example in Gwenview under the Moduls
> menu. I think that would be really cool and could be a great GSOC
> project imo.
> =

Yes, it would be really cool :)

I think I would prioritize like this:

1) Create a non-GUI Qt/KDE library that can take an (Q)image and generate =

output suitable for djvu/PDF/ODF. Maybe even generate djvu/PDF/ODF files.

2) Make a simple GUI around the library to test the functionality.

3) Add the ORC part to the KScan plugin ksaneplugin. (kdegraphics)

4) Create a Kipi-plugin for use in Gwenview,Digikam,....

5) Standalone document scanning application that is specialized for multipa=
ge =

scanning to PDF/djvu/ODT.

I'm not familiar with the ocropus API, so I'm not sure how much work it wou=
ld =

be. I'm not sure one GSOC would be enough for all 5 points ;)

Regards,
  K=E5re