On 25/02/2012, at 8:14 PM, Stephan Menzel wrote: > On Sat, Feb 25, 2012 at 12:44 AM, Ian Wadham wrote: >> Yes I do (have a Macbook). The search function is a small magnifying >> glass icon at the top right of the screen (equivalent to a "systray" item). >> It drops down to single line-edit type field with the label "Spotlight". > > It takes some time and change in behaviour but if you really give it > a shot it's a good thing indeed. But as you said, most people really > try that only once. If it doesn't do as expected the first times, they > will simply deactivate it and stick to the old ways. Semantic Desktop > nil, dusty old ways score. So I think accessibility and simplicity is > key here and has to be done right. Well I do use Google and Wikipedia a lot. Also, on my iPhone, I use the textual search in the Maps app quite a bit. However I do not have frequent need for a search engine on my desktop. That is despite having pioneered the use of text-search engines in the Australian Government in the early 1980s, including indexing on fields and attributes in searches ("Brown" the name versus "brown" the colour) and indexing on terms from a hierarchical thesaurus, which I think are basically what Nepomuk and Strigi are trying to do, even if they are cloaked in much obscure talk about "ontologies". >> I am surprised too that Nepomuk, Strigi et al. require so much CPU >> power and space. This is not at all what was claimed at Akademy >> 2007, akademy2007.kde.org/conference/slides/strigi.pdf See the >> slide entitled "Speed Comparison". What went wrong? > > Well, I have to correct my initial rant about that a little. I was impressed. It had all the characteristics of a truck hitting a sacred cow! > There was > one problem here I could fix. During the upgrade from 4.7 to 4.8 there > are some temporary files left in /tmp. When you start 4.8 and those > files are still there, it causes problems in virtuoso-t. So I stopped > KDE, deleted everything in /tmp and restarted KDE. This caused some > initial reindexing and resource demand but it actually stopped after a > while and isn't present all the time anymore. > Most of the time though it still is > > top - 10:11:52 up 16:34, 4 users, load average: 0,67, 0,69, 1,02 > Tasks: 130 total, 2 running, 128 sleeping, 0 stopped, 0 zombie > %Cpu(s): 3,4 us, 8,3 sy, 61,4 ni, 26,1 id, 0,9 wa, 0,0 hi, 0,0 si, 0,0 st > Kb Mem: 1919532 total, 1889468 used, 30064 free, 114448 buffers > Kb Swap: 5927948 total, 93216 used, 5834732 free, 457912 cached > > PID USER PR NI VIRT RES SHR S %CPU %MEM TIME+ COMMAND > 31309 sm 39 19 295m 209m 5020 S 142,5 11,2 37:53.38 virtuoso-t That's ridiculous. No database manager worth its salt in this day and age should get bogged down in its own housekeeping. Maybe Nepomuk/Strigi should switch to another DBMS, such as the one already used in Akonadi, and save on overheads, downloads, installation, memory, disk space, etc. Anyway, however good N/S may be (and I have yet to see that) I do not want a search engine that would drain my laptop battery. Nepomuk/Strigi is supposed to be a "Pillar of KDE" but to me it looks as though it is standing on wet clay. I doubt if a nice search widget could lift it out of the doldrums, Stefan, but I wish you the best of success with your initiative. All the best, Ian W. >> Visit http://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde-devel#unsub to unsubscribe <<