List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Access indexing
From:       Stephan Menzel <stephan.menzel () gmail ! com>
Date:       2012-02-24 13:46:09

On Sat, Feb 18, 2012 at 3:51 PM, Kevin Krammer <kevin.krammer@gmx.at> wrote:
> Your initial posting sounded like a permanent input field (i.e. not a popup
> like KRunner) and only displaying matches from the Nepomuk plugin (i.e. not
> interleaving those with matches from other plugins).

I can't really be sure if I understand what a KRunner plugin is or
does but what you say here seems to be what I mean.

Just imagine the following use case and maybe it's getting clearer then:

I sit in a meeting room with my laptop and conversation turns to the
subject "Project Vulcan" ;-)
Now I know I was having some pictures I took somewhere on my computer,
along with meeting minutes of previous meetings. Since I am unable to
organize and name files correctly  I just wanna see what I've got
about 'vulcan', by very quickly entering the text somewhere, without
having to break conversation because I start fiddeling with the shell
and 'find' and I immediately got a list of files with the text
'vulcan' in their names. If I wait a little longer there will be more
hits such as text with 'vulcan' in them and vulcans in my address book
and so on. I want a list, click on any entry and open the appropriate
file.
If any of you happen to have a macbook or an iphone, just try that
search field. It's terrific.

> In any case, looking at that KRunner plugin is probably a good way to start
> when wondering how Nepomuk is queried for matches.

Will do. Thanks!

Stephan