List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Access indexing
From:       Todd <toddrme2178 () gmail ! com>
Date:       2012-02-16 10:55:49

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

Why aren't you using krunner? It already has most of this functionality and much more \
in a more modular and extensible form.

There is already a krunner plasma widget you can put in a panel on kde-look.org.

If krunner is missing specific features it would be a lot easier to add a new runner \
than to recreate krunner from scratch.

-Todd

Stephan Menzel <stephan.menzel@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi KDE team,

as a fun project and to play around with Plasma and Python Bindings, I
am developing a plasmoid (in python) that I was always missing since I
first saw strigi digging through my file system. Basically, it is a
remake of a little tool Apple is offering in OSX. They have a simple
line entry in the upper right corner of a desktop and when you enter
any text it looks in local indexed file names, contents, meta
information, contacts, anything you can think of for the search entry.
I always wanted this for KDE and I thought it might be good thing to
start with.

As the UI is fairly simple I quickly got to a point that I actually
want to access the index databases and here's where I would need
someone to point me in the right direction.

I was looking through the docs and the way I understand it, there will
be multiple sources I need to query. Nepomuk calls that type 2 and 3
meta information that I will definately need but the first and far
most important thing is file names. So I'd like to start with that. I
understand the Strigi file indexer runs through all my files,
extracting meta information for the Nepomuk database, right? So is
there a preferred way of accessing this index? Strigi is not listed in
the kde python bindings but I might write my own for that. The project
information / website are a little sparse so is that what I need to do
or is there another access point? I don't need file content at this
point but I do need to have some sort of search functionality upon
this index.

Any hints are greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Stephan