List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: [cmake] find_package(KDE4)
From:       "=?utf-8?B?TWljaGHFgg==?= Walenciak" <kicer86 () gmail ! com>
Date:       2012-02-12 7:12:37

Dnia niedziela 12 lutego 2012 01:03:52 Andreas Pakulat pisze:
> On 11.02.12 22:34:32, Michał Walenciak wrote:
> > Hi all
> >

> > today I've encountered problem with using kde stuff in my program.
> > When I simply added find_package(KDE4) it just stopped linking.
> >
> > I think it's probably related to this post:
> > http://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=89265
> >
> > I've two questions:
> > 1. what find_package(KDE4) has changed, so program which was compiling and
> > linking successfully stopped linking?
>
> In the above forum post the reason for getting those undefined
> references is that KDE4 enables symbol visibility for gcc, i.e. symbols
> are hidden by default unless you explicitly make them visible via an
> export-macro. This is important when linking to lots of libraries as it
> reduces the startup time of applications.
>
> I have no idea what the problem in your case is, as you provided no
> information.

it's the same situation - I produce my own shared lib (anyway it's not the
main problem for me. I just don't enjoy forcing any flags I don't want).
I didn't know the trick about hidding symbols, thx for hint :)

> > 2. why find_package(KDE4) is forcing it's own compiler flags (like
> > additional -Wxxx
>
> I don't see why any warning would be bad, unless gcc detects
> false-positives. But also see below.

ok, I know, however I'm the developer and I know which flags should be
enabled. If I don't want to see warns, nothing should force me.

> > or -O2 in DEBUG build)?
>
> I don't know, you may be able to find information about that in some old
> archives of kde-core-devel. I guess this stems from pre-cmake times,
> since even with automake in KDE3 debug was -O2 -g to provide debuggable
> executables that still had some optimizations so they could be used for
> normal usage too.

same as above ;)

> > I can agree, that ${KDE_xxxx} variables can be
> > put around to influence on some compiler flags, but simple "find_package"
> > IMHO should not do such things.
>
> Please feel free to bring that up on the kde-buildsystem list, which
> would be the right place to discuss the KDE4 cmake module.

thx for another tip :)

> Andreas

regards
Michał