List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Problem building kde-workspace
From:       Andreas Pakulat <apaku () gmx ! de>
Date:       2011-10-17 22:11:40

On 17.10.11 16:26:42, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> > On 17.10.11 16:06:01, Tomaz Canabrava wrote:
> >> probably has something to do with my python version, but ...
> >>
> >> Generating singleview.moc
> >>   File
> >> "/kde/kde-workspace/plasma/generic/scriptengines/python//plasma_importer.py",
> >> line 107
> >>     exec code in mod.__dict__
> >>             ^
> >> SyntaxError: invalid syntax
> >> make[2]: *** [compile_python_files] Error 1
> >> make[1]: ***
> >> [plasma/generic/scriptengines/python/CMakeFiles/compile_python_files.dir/all]
> >> Error 2
> >> make[1]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs...
> >>

> >> using kdesrc-build, archlinux, fully upgraded.
> >
> > I've recently seen someone say that archlinux has upgraded 'python' to
> > py3 and CMake's FindPython script finds python3. Though I guess the
> > above python script was written for 2.x. So the quick-fix is to adjust
> > CMakeCache.txt to point to a python 2.x install, proper fix is to get
> > FindPython fixed in cmake and/or kdelibs.
>
> Pointing /usr/bin/python at python3 is an Arch specific change that isn't
> supported in upstream Python (or anywhere else I know about).  If
> FindPython assumes /usr/bin/python, I don't think that's a bug in
> FindPython.

Well, that depends on your view. Currently the module is really just a
basic wrapper around find_program trying a couple of different names for
python (python<majorversion><minorversion> for a list of versions) and
then falling back to 'python'.

So while its an Arch changing causing it to find Python 3, its still the
modules fault for not providing a way to specify the wanted version and
checking that or providing any kind of version info for the found python
(so a user of the module could check the version).

Baseically both parties need to fix some things :)

Andreas