List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: How do I design this interface?
From:       Akarsh Simha <akarshsimha () gmail ! com>
Date:       2011-07-14 5:30:45

On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 09:04:44PM +0200, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Monday, July 11, 2011 01:24:50 Akarsh Simha wrote:
> > "What's interesting" box, that would programmatically generate a list
> > of interesting objects that are visible from your location tonight
> > (taking into account a bunch of parameters including your equipment,
> > location, light pollution levels, level of experience), and give you
> > ample information on those objects in a side-bar. For instance, to the
> > beginner, it would tell him what planets are visible in the sky
> > presently. It's hard to explain in words, so here's an ugly mockup:
> > http://i.imgur.com/YkGY4.png
>
> very nice idea indeed..
>
> anyways.. under the assumption that a person is going to only read one of
> those at a time, it may make sense to show less information in that side panel
> than more. what might be very neat is a timeline-based set of actions, much as
> you have there (now, 3 hours from now, etc.) that just lists the names and
> perhaps the type of object (galaxy, planet, star).
>
> as a user i could then select on those items and it would center the star map
> on it, highligh it in some way and show me an informational box pointing to it
> with both the information and actions in it. that way one can quickly jump
> from item to item and see where it is on the map.

Thanks for the suggestions, Aaron. Yes, that sounds better to me. That
combines two problems into one -- I was also considering showing
contextual information depending on what object was centered in the
star map. But that was stupid -- you might as well show bare minimum
information in the side panel ["Cetus A (M 77) -- Galaxy in Cetus
(visible now)"] and provide all other information depending on what's
centered.

> this would also allow you to cut down your actions: slew map would go away,
> and the redundant "on <name of object>" would also go away.

ACK.

> just my 0.02 ... i look forward to seeing this in kstars :)

Thanks, that was helpful. Me too.

Regards
Akarsh