List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Build KMail only?
From:       Rui Maciel <rui.maciel () gmail ! com>
Date:       2011-07-12 0:06:35

On 07/11/2011 09:47 AM, Tom Albers wrote:
> Can I also remind everyone at the severe 'kmail-ate-my-mails' from the KMail1 days? \
> There have been numerous reports that KMail ate mails in certain circumstance. \
> Offline IMAP could potentially corrupt data when hitting check-mail at the wrong \
> time, etc. Let's not remember KMail1 as being heaven. It was certainly not.

I've used kmail since the days of kubuntu 5.04 and I don't recall ever
losing an email due to kmail.  Then again, I accessed my email accounts
through pop3.

On the other hand, since I've started using KDE4, kmail became a bit
unusable due to a series of akonadi issues, and things got to the point
that recently I've said enough and simply migrated to thunderbird.
kmail was not perfect but it was usable and, at least to me, it was a
better email client than any other client that I knew.  In fact, I still
hold the old kmail as a better email client than today's thunderbird.
Yet, thunderbird does work without a hitch, this can't be said about the
new kmail.

So, although the old kmail wasn't perfect, that isn't a sign that
today's kmail is a clear improvement over the old kmail. Unfortunately
that isn't the case, and to those of us who depend on a working email
client, these sort of problems do count.

> To address those issues KMail2 was created, that it is not (yet) fully working is a \
> fact, but don't say KMail1 always worked nicely, if that would have been the case, \
> it would not have been rewritten.

But this doesn't mean that the current incantation of kmail does the job
that the old kmail does, let alone doing it as well.

Rui Maciel