On Friday, July 01, 2011 04:56:24 Ben Cooksley wrote: > On Fri, Jul 1, 2011 at 2:53 PM, Ian Wadham wrote: > > On Thursday 30 June 2011 1:33:07 am Tomaz Canabrava wrote: > >> On Wed, Jun 22, 2011 at 9:05 PM, Albert Astals Cid wrote: > >> > A Wednesday, June 22, 2011, Ian Wadham va escriure: > >> >> Can I build KMail without Akonadi, etc? > >> > > >> > No (or maybe you could but it would be mostly useless :D) > >> > >> Maybe that deserves a better answer. ;) > > > > I was hoping for one ... :-) > > > >> Akonadi is not another pim software, akonadi is what kmail uses > >> internally to retrieve information from your e-mails, such as > >> contacts. so Akonadi is an important technology inside kmail, and you > >> probably will not kmail without it. > > > > What I hear you saying is, "Have faith, my son. Persevere. Keep > > downloading. Keep installing. All will be revealed ... and you will > > receive your reward." > > > > Well, I just find that hard to believe. I did install MySQL on my > > Macbook (I may need it for another project), but Akonadi does > > not find it. I don't really need an address book in a KDE app. > > I have an iPhone ... :-) My main concern is to port my email > > archives to the Macbook and to be able to read, write and file > > emails using the excellent facilities of KMail. > > I think Akonadi has an option to use SQLite, but are not sure on the > exact details required to set it up. > I suspect it will be slow if you have a large quantity of email > however. Might be worth a shot though. > > The folks on the kde-pim@kde.org mailing list would be more > knowledgable about that. Definitely so, I know at least one KDE PIM hacker (Till) who uses Kontact on OSX, he might have some hints that make your life easier. > > I do not see why that simple requirement needs a full-bottle > > relational database manager. It just looks like dead weight > > from my point of view. I say this advisedly and with no offence > > intended. I have been designing and programming RDBMS > > based applications for about 20 years - large and small DBs. > > > > Unfortunately, very few, if any, other email clients seem to > > recognise the Maildir format I am using in KMail. So I am torn > > between kludging my emails into mbox format with a script > > or persevering with trying to get Akonadi to work in Mac OS X. > > Neither alternative looks good to me. -- sebas http://www.kde.org | http://vizZzion.org | GPG Key ID: 9119 0EF9 >> Visit http://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde-devel#unsub to unsubscribe <<