On Thursday, June 09, 2011 07:22:32 AM Sebastian Kügler wrote: > Hi Scott, > > On Tuesday, June 07, 2011 03:13:43 Scott Kitterman wrote: > > It may be that there was more to the release implications of the git > > transition than "we're sure it'll get figured out by people who actually > > care about releases", but if there was it's not apparent to me. > > I don't think there was, which lead to the screw-ups. It is something we > took as a central issue into the discussions during the platform11 sprint, > so at least we learnt from that. > > The short answer to your question is: We will also release backwards- > compabitle, monolithic tarballs. That process can largely be automated on > our side. That's good to know. Personally I think Kubuntu will want to modularize as much as upstream (we already split the monolithic tarballs into multiple binaries, so this is not news to us that splitting is good). I do think that the requirement to produce monolithic tarballs is useful as part of the discipline of releasing. It's a good forcing function to ensure the release contains an aligned set of 'sub-modules'. It would be good to know if there are any packages that were split for 4.7 beta 1 that have reconsidered this and will go back to just releasing the monolithic tarball? Scott K P.S. Added packager back as I think it's relevant. >> Visit http://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde-devel#unsub to unsubscribe <<