List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Releases of the thing that was KDE
From:       Scott Kitterman <kde () kitterman ! com>
Date:       2011-06-07 1:13:43

Nicolas Alvarez <nicolas.alvarez@gmail.com> wrote:

> Scott Kitterman wrote:
> > New thread as requested.
> >
> > I've been told on IRC that we will still have an integrated release
> of
> > what used to be KDE (I've no clue what to call it now since I think I
> read
> > KDE SC was deprecated).
> >
> > All I see in the messaging from the platform sprint seems to be about
> > further deconstruction and decentralization.
> >
> > The KDE 4.7 beta 1 tarballs are an inconsistent mess that clearly
> weren't
> > coherently thought out (don't get me started about modules thinking
> it'd
> > be a
> > great idea to split tarballs in 4.6.3).  [to be clear, I'm not
> against
> > splitting, I'd just like it to be planned out and done consistently,
> once
> > so we don't have to redo packaging multiple times].
>
> What module split tarballs in 4.6.3? I thought tarball layout remained
> fixed
> throughout 4.6.

Kdeedu attempted this. It was not done in the end. The kdeedu 4.6.3 release had to \
come from svn even though they had already switched to git because the git bits \
couldn't be stitched back into a proper (for 4.6) tarball.

It may be that there was more to the release implications of the git transition than \
"we're sure it'll get figured out by people who actually care about releases", but if \
there was it's not apparent to me.

Scott K

Scott K