On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 7:26 PM, Sebastian Kügler wrote: > Hi all, > > You've probably been aware that a rather sizable group of KDE developers and > stakeholders in our development platform is meeting in Randa, Switzerland to > discuss the future of our development frameworks, with the big topic being > "modularization of kdelibs". We've had a number of great discussions here > about various technical and process-related topics. We are still in the > process of making the results digestable, transforming our notes into > something that is understandable for those that haven't been able to > participate in these -- very productive -- sessions in person. > > Let me already give you some information on the bigger picture we came up with > here, as you are all probably very curious about that. The overall theme was > the modularization of kdelibs, kde-runtime, kdepimlibs, kdepim-runtine and > kdesupport. With Qt5 -- a change in binary interface -- having been announced, > it is a good point in time to introduce some changes to our frameworks that > are only possible if we change the ABI -- which Qt5 will do for us anyway. > > > What is the scope? > > Instead of Platform, we want to consistently use the term "Frameworks", this > includes what we currently refer to as kdelibs, kdepimlibs, kde-runtime, > kdepim-runtime and kdesupport. We explicitely are not talking about our apps > and workspaces, but read on. > > > What do we want to achieve, and why? > > We want to make it possible to use our frameworks in Qt projects without > significant additional dependencies. This means: > > * We reach out to the Qt development community in a more focused way > * We make it easier to use our frameworks > * We lower the barrier for contributions > * We make our frameworks more suitable for mobile and device-spectrum use >  cases > * We make it possible to select a specific set of features developers would >  like to use > * We improve our QA processes, leading to better quality apps and frameworks > > We want this to happen with ... > * ... no disruption for our users > * ... little to no source incompatibilities > * ... most apps not needing any significant changes > * ... changes, if at all necessary being kept to a minimum > > > What does it mean for users? > > * No disruption > * Most probably invisible > * Short term: Iit becomes easier to run kDE apps outside of the Plasma >  workspaces, including other operating systems > * Longer term: We will probably see more apps using KDE technology > > > What does it mean for developers? > > * We will maintain source compabitility as much as possible > * The impact for existing apps will be minimal > * We will provide a compabitility library as additional measure to reduce the >  impact of these changes > > > What does it mean for packagers? > > * We make it possible to ship our frameworks in a more modular way > * We also plan to provide "monolithic tarballs" much as we do now, depending >  on the needs and preferences of downstreams > > > Please note that this is *not* KDE5, as it doesn't refer to our community, but > about our development frameworks. At this point there is also no benefit in > talking about KDE 5, since that just opens the door to misinformation. This is > also clearly not about our workspaces, or applications. (See > http://vizzzion.org/blog/2011/06/there-is-no-kde5/ for a quick explanation.) > > In order to prevent this thread from growing into an unmanageable load of > hundreds of emails, please post specific questions as separate threads. (You > can of course reply with praise to this, but anything that is likely to spark > a more detailed discussion is probably better off in a separate thread.) > > Thanks for your attention, and cheers from a wonderful Switzerland, It is great to hear that you are thinking about this, and I am looking forward to seeing more details in the future. As for new threads, are you looking for suggestions and ideas or only questions at this point? -Todd >> Visit http://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde-devel#unsub to unsubscribe <<