List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Disabling Oxygen's window dragging for specific QWidgets?
From:       Ian Wadham <iandw.au () gmail ! com>
Date:       2011-05-20 0:33:26

On Thursday 19 May 2011 6:27:12 pm Stefan Majewsky wrote:
> On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 12:16 AM, Thomas Lübking
> > At least QGraphicsView is added explicitly (and i assume KGameCanvas is
> > just one?!)
>
> No, KGC is not a QGV. It predates QGV by some time, to solve the
> problem that QCanvas was going away. (Everything AFAIK because this
> was before my time.)

KGameCanvas was actually adopted in KDE Games simultaneously with early
releases of QGraphicsView, during the lead-up to the release of KDE 4.0.

KGC was used *not* because it resembled QCanvas (it does not IIRC), but
because QGV could not perform fast enough for some games.  Their survival
in KDE 4 and conversion to KDE 4 depended on getting something faster.

I have heard QGV is faster now.  I believe our early work on it with KDE Games
helped make that happen.  I do *not* know if QGV would now be fast enough,
nor am I about to re-program the graphics of my own game (for the fifth time)
to find that out.  KGC is a lightweight library based on painting QPixmaps.

Compared to that earlier crisis, the problem with Oxygen window dragging
was a ripple versus a tsunami.  So please can we stop this thread now?

Regards, Ian W.
KGoldrunner author.