List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Distributed Mapping Application - Idea For Season Of KDE
From:       Naman Muley <naman.g.muley () gmail ! com>
Date:       2011-04-28 2:54:02

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

On Thu, Apr 28, 2011 at 6:11 AM, johnmS2 <s2@forceway.com> wrote:

> On 04/27/2011 05:55 AM, Naman Muley wrote:
> >

> > On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 4:33 PM, Vitor Boschi <vitorboschi@gmail.com
> > <mailto:vitorboschi@gmail.com>> wrote:
> >
> >     Actually, Google can use information about which wifi access
> >     points (and/or cell towers in case of mobile phones) your computer
> >     see and provide a very precise location guess based on this. You
> >     could try this method too.
> >

>  Though I doubt
> > Google uses cellphone towers, I shoudn't think google has access to
> > telephone resources as they are contracted. The telephone base stations
> > are contracted by telephone service providers and do not relay free
> > information.
>
> Hi,
>
> Hi,

> In the news recently:
> http://www.boingboing.net/2011/04/22/android-secretly-sto.html
>
> Cell tower location based services have been in use for some years now,
> even before phones got wifi & gps.

> unsubscribe <<

Okay,they do store it. But I am not sure if someone is allowed to use this
data. It is something to be debated as the data obtained from cell phone
tower triangulation is something which is private to the cellphone services.
I really dont know what the law is.  None the less, if such kind of data is
accessible, one could use it again globally. The article I think said it
gives one the latitude and longitude. I still dont see any reason why the
service i am imagining needs to know the latitude and longitude. I mean, the
information that somebody is on the   second floor of the building is pretty
much enough for someone. My point is, local information is very useful.
concise and relevant to the context.

If we are allowed to (by the law) then we could use the above data also
surely.