List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Season of KDE 2011
From:       Ryan Rix <ry () n ! rix ! si>
Date:       2011-04-28 1:48:29

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Wed 27 April 2011 04:34:19 Rovin Bhandari wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I have applied to Season of KDE 2011. I have a few ideas in mind regarding
> the same. Let me brief them for you-
> 1. *Adding indexing to KFind and/or KFileReplace.*
> Adding indexing to these tools will not only make searching extremely fast
> when dealing with several gigabytes of data but also make these tools "more
> generic desktop search applications". To demonstrate the effectiveness of
> indexed search over unindexed search, I have (with the help of a friend)
> written a Python-SQLite3 based indexing cum searching application with
> command-line-interface. Alhough I have not paid much attention to optimizing
> my algorithm in the code, searching is drastically faster than unindexed
> search via KFind. Plus indexing makes searching file-contents and meta-tags
> feasible without taking any extra time. I can send the code (along with a
> previously prepared index-database if required) if anyone would like to
> review.

Why not work on a similar interface which uses the already existing file
indexing service Strigi?

> 2. *Developing a Direct Connect client for KDE, or vamping up 'valknut'.*
> The new DC client should feature ADC protocol as well. It can be built over
> the latest LinuxDC++. Plus, a friend recently came up with an idea of making
> a DC client supporting SSH protocol. I don't know how relevant the idea is
> but would surely like to have some opinion on it.
> 3. *Extending features from Notepad++ to Kate.*
> I have Googled a lot only to draw the conclusion that an equivalent to
> Notepad++ does not exist for GNU/Linux. So I thought of extending some of
> the best features of Notepad++ to Kate, the most useful (well, according to
> me) of them being 'Automatic backing up' of opened files. I have been using
> Kate for quite a while and have read some of its code too, so I am pretty
> sure that the 'automatic backing up' feature can be incorporated in Kate.

That was done as a SoC or SoK project last summer, iirc. The code is probably
layign around waiting for that last 10% if it's not already in Kate.

--
Ryan Rix
== http://rix.si/page/contact/ if you need a word         ==