Hi again, Just letting you know that this has turned into a real project at Mozilla: http://blog.mozilla.com/joe/2011/04/26/introducing-the-azure-project This is being developed in this repository: http://hg.mozilla.org/projects/graphics -> specifically the gfx/2d/ directory. This code is mostly self-contained with very few Mozilla-specific dependencies. Benoit 2010/12/14 Benoit Jacob : > Hi, > > I would like to know if the KDE or Qt community has plans for a free > OpenGL-based equivalent to Direct2D (see explanation below)? And if > there is a chance that I could get you interested in that. We at > Mozilla are very interested in that and are considering the > possibility of launching such a project: > > https://wiki.mozilla.org/Gecko:2DGraphicsThoughts > > It would be interesting for us to know your opinions on the subject. > > First of all, by "2D", I mean "advanced 2D", with text etc. So please > don't close this thread by saying that 2D is a special case of 3D > hence OpenGL is all I need ;-) > > Let's review the possibilities we currently have for > hardware-accelerated 2D rendering: > * XRender/OpenGL back-ends to QPainter/Cairo. >  -> problem: the Cairo API is in our experience inherently unsuitable > for hardware acceleration and my impression is that the same applies > to QPainter. The result is disappointing acceleration factors. (Stop > me if I'm wrong). > * scene-graph APIs. For example, I saw planetkde posts about a future > scene graph API in Qt. Here, I'm talking about the *advanced* use > cases where you want more control than a scene graph API can provide. > > Microsoft has an answer to this problem: Direct2D. If we want to cover > advanced 2D needs with hardware acceleration on non-Windows platforms, > we need something like Direct2D, but based on OpenGL. For example, if > you ever want to get a world-class fully Qt-based Web browser *with* > GPU-accelerated rendering, you'll need something like that. Ditto for > compex enough 2D games (a scene graph API can only be enough for > simple games), for Calligra... > > So, do you (KDE or Qt) already have plans in this area? If we were to > launch such a projects, would you see a use for it, and are there any > particular reasonable things we should keep in mind to keep you > interested and potentially able to contribute to the effort? > > Cheers, > Benoit > >> Visit http://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde-devel#unsub to unsubscribe <<