List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Distributed Mapping Application - Idea For Season Of KDE
From:       Naman Muley <naman.g.muley () gmail ! com>
Date:       2011-04-26 11:27:17

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

Hi,
        I am Naman Muley, pre-final year student at Dhirubhai Ambani
Institute of Information Communication Technology (DA-IICT), Gandhinagar. I
wanted to join in the Season Of KDE. I have an idea which goes as follows:

        I want to build a desktop application. Much like a map, which gives
you the location of your friends or people whom you select to view. (put
them as red dots). It also maps my location. A lot of times in University
Campuses and other places, one is in urgent need to contact a colleague or a
freind. Two ways, use a cell phone or IP messenger type applications. What
it does not give you is the location. May be he or she is nearby and you can
pay a visit. A face to face interaction is always better than a chat or a
call. Once I locate the person whom I want on the map, I click on it and
maybe initiate a chat or a phone call ( if we manage to get this running as
a mobile app). Now-a-days with smartphones on the go, this application will
be very important. I can chose which people to locate by default when I log
in. I can set settings as to who all am I visible to.. etc. I dont know, but
I am sure there are applications similar. Overall, if you have seen Harry
Potter - The Prisoner of Azkaban , I am talking about 'The Marauder's Map'.

        I wanted to work on developing this application. I am in search of
any mentor who can help me with this. In case any more queries on the idea,
please reply. I am willing to discuss this idea. Its quite abstract and it'l
take efforts to make it discrete and doable.

        Awaiting replies,

Yours Broadcastingly,
Naman