List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: GSoC 2011 : Photo Frame Layouts
From:       Łukasz Spas <lukasz.spas () gmail ! com>
Date:       2011-03-30 12:47:09

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

Hi.

Thank you for your interests. :)

I think that it is enough time to made such project and made unit and some
integration tests.

Let me briefly describe my ideas:

In my opinion the most important thing in this project is that it should be
as easy as it only could be because the people who are not computer literat=
could be able to use them - many of people who I know and who are intereste=
in photography are in very basic level of using computer so it should be
very intuitive. However it shouldn't suffer from lacks of functionality. So
I decided to do those of things in this way:
 - This module could be included as tool in "Tools" menu.
 - It might be build from 2 parts: main layout panel and small tool bar
(icons + short text labels to be easier to recognize any module tool) - les=
panels equals easier to use
  - User should be able to combine photos using drag and drop method.
However, if someone uses touch pad to move cursor this method is not
comfortable. So there should be implemented a second method of combining
photos only by mouse clicking (for example by using drop down menu).
 - module should supply variety of predefined styles of layouts to combine
photos: like few squares, hearts, etc.
 - user should be able to create his own layout styles by putting &
combining few vector shapes (used as a masks) into the layout panel. This
style could be saved for further use. Those styles might be also configured
by the user to change border color, transparency level, rotation, size, etc=
.
Every of those shapes will work like a mask - if user put any photo on them
this shape will show only those part of photo which is inside of this shape=
.
 - layout area also should be configurable - for example user might change
background color or add background image.
 - user should be able to change shape of each photo, crop, rotate or scale
them to fit into one of masks (mentioned above).
 - layouts with photos might be saved as an image and in addition as an
specified file format used by this module which can be modified.

This is a basic list of functionality which (I think) are the most importan=
and can be easily implemented during GSoC period using method of OO
programming and Qt. It also could be expanded if there will be any
requirement about the functionality or if there will be enough time. Pleas
note that this is not complete list of my ideas but only the most important
part.

Also I could send briefly description of my implementation ideas If you onl=
want.

What is your opinion about my ideas?

Best regards,
Lucas Spas