List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: GSoC 2011: Universal Media Controller
From:       John Layt <johnlayt () googlemail ! com>
Date:       2011-03-22 9:14:35

On Monday 21 Mar 2011 06:19:21 Arvind S Raj wrote:

>    *Synopsis*: The basic idea is to implement a media controller that
> allows a user to control the currently running music player even when the
> screen is locked.

Sorry to disappoint, but we already have such a widget called "Now Playing"
which uses the MPRIS protocol which can also be added to the screen saver.  I
doubt writing another widget using the MPRIS protocol is big enough for a GSoC
project.

Now, I seem to remember the MPRIS protocol has shortcomings, so perhaps
designing a revision of the protocol and adding support for that to all the
major media players might qualify as a project, but that would be something
you would have to talk to the MPRIS authors about, and I'm not sure it would
be a KDE project then.

Cheers!

John.