List:       kde-devel
Subject:    GSoC: QML-ify plasma desktop
From:       Francesco Cusolito <mous16 () gmail ! com>
Date:       2011-03-15 15:42:19

Hi everyone,
  My name is Francesco, I'm an Italian student of computer engineering
and this is the first time I write to a mailing list. I was developing
a plasmoid in QML when I saw the announcement of Google Summer of Code
2011 about the QML-ify of plasma desktop.
  The main objective of the applet that I am developing is to make
more immediate and easy the management of windows, and at the same
time minimize
the waste of space. The idea is to create an applet to replace tasks,
also providing optionally the capabilities of activitybar,
currentappcontrol,  pager, showdesktop and windowlist. This would make
it suitable for both the desktop and the netbook shells.
  I have fair knowledge of Qt/C++, but I'm new to QML. I also have
some knowledge of the architecture of KDE, but not very familiar with
libraries. I've already started writing code, and currently I'm trying
to figure out how to add the configuration dialog. I still have to
understand how far should get the C++ and what must be done in QML. I
also have some doubts due to lack of documentation about declarative
plasma API.
  What do you think?
  However, sooner or later I will write it!

Francesco