List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Print Preview (was Re: Qt - what is needed?)
From:       Anne Wilson <annew () kde ! org>
Date:       2011-02-23 20:00:17

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Wednesday 23 February 2011 19:44:49 John Layt wrote:
> On Wednesday 23 February 2011 13:33:57 Anne-Marie Mahfouf wrote:
> > On Wednesday 23 February 2011 12:20:43 Thomas Zander wrote:
> > > While Qt could re-add the functionality that mirrors the Qt3 checkbox
> > > indeed, in the mean time there is something already available that KDE
> > > can use right now. In my personal opinion that dialog is more powerful
> > > too.
> > >
> > > Qt provides a 'print preview dialog' that substitutes this behavior and
> > > all that is needed to give this functionality to users is for KDe
> > > applications to add a menu option called 'print preview'.
> > > http://labs.qt.nokia.com/2007/09/19/print-preview/
> > >
> > > See your local compiled qt/demos/textedit for a demo.
> > >
> > > AFAICT all it takes is one hero to go through the kde apps and add the
> > > ~10 lines of code...
> >
> > This could be done with volunteers as we did for plasma applets configure
> > dialogs where some code had to be added in all C++ applets. 3 guys did it
> > and 2 got git access (one already had it), that got them started in
> > contributing in a mentored way.
> > All it takes is a list of apps on a wiki page, an example code, a mentor
> > and a blog.
> > What list should we discuss this in order to see if it's the right
> > approach and to put it together if it is?
> >
> > Best regards,
> >
> > Anne-Marie
>
> Note that we also have KPrintPreview which has been available and
> documented since 4.0 (and even bugs raised) but few apps have bothered to
> add the required menu item and preview code.  QPrintPreview has some nicer
> features around manipulating the preview, but just like KPrintPreview the
> appearance in the preview may have little relationship to the final print
> appearance.

I must have misunderstood this statement - surely there is little point in a
print preview if it has little relationship to the final pring appearance?

> Another problem with QPrintPreview is that clicking on the
> Print button in it brings up the pure Qt print dialog which doesn't have
> all extra features we've added like n-up, odd/even pages and app specific
> tabs.

I have noticed that I don't always see the same print dialogue, but I haven't
worked out which applications show which, or why.  That's another point of
confusion for users.

> I guess any discussion would be on kde-devel as fixing apps is not really
> core and reaches a wider audience.

I've cc'd the kde-devel list and hope that the discussion will be taken up
there.

The other point I raised, of "printing as a booklet", is perhaps neither as
urgently needed or as widely needed, but it is something dear to my heart.  I
just wish I had the know-how to help bring this back.

Anne