List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: developer
From:       Kevin Krammer <kevin.krammer () gmx ! at>
Date:       2011-01-09 16:25:05

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Hi Matus,

On Sunday, 2011-01-09, Matus Ujhelyi wrote:
> Hi,
> my name is Matus Ujhelyi. I would like to get some information about
> KDE-developer program. Is there any way to become a developer and how the
> process pass off? Who is the person i could talk with?

There is no formal process of becoming a KDE developer, anyone respecting our
community's general principles of cooperation and mutual respect can be a
member of this community.

For people who want to contribute as software developers, the usual starting
place is to read through our developer information on TechBase [1], probably
best starting with [2].

One of the usual questions new contributors have is which part of KDE to work
on.
Since basically all of KDE's sub projects are constantly looking for new
contributors, the best choice is always which area you are most interested in.
If you are interested in several topics you can work on all of them or work
with then one after another and then decide which you want to stick to.

Most of these groups of developers have their own specialized mailinglist but
it can be diffcult for new people to find the correct one. If in doubt, just
ask here.

One possible way to find things that are known to require some work and which
are considered doable by somebody new to a project is to search for keyword
"junior-job" on our issue tracking system [3] (advanced search)

Cheers,
Kevin

[1] TechBase is KDE's contributor Wiki
[2] http://techbase.kde.org/Getting_Started