List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: plans for a free, OpenGL-based equivalent to Direct2D ?
From:       Benoit Jacob <jacob.benoit.1 () gmail ! com>
Date:       2010-12-14 19:34:29

2010/12/14 Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo@kde.org>:
> On Tuesday, December 14, 2010, Thiago Macieira wrote:
>> The QML Scene Graph intends to do this, but it's only inteded for QML work.
>
> imho:
>
> having looked a bit at the QML Scene Graph, i really do think it would be
> tremendously great to work towards making it a bit more generic. it wouldn't
> need a perfectly stable API/ABI at first, imho, as it could very easily be
> built right into each app that needs it for the time being. what's important
> is the time savings for the developer and the correctness of the OpenGL
> handling; QML SG does both very well already.
>
> it could be used as a stepping stone to such a "OpenGL backed hardware
> accelerated 2D API" that should be enough for webkit (or gecko, for that
> matter), Calligra, etc.
>
> complex games would still need to look elsewhere, but that's a whooole other
> ballpark of needs and use cases.

These days, the needs of web engines are easily as complex as those of
complex games: between <canvas>/2d, css, and svg, there's plenty of
ways that a web page can be a complex 2d game :-) Then throw fonts
into the mix.

I can't speak for Calligra but I would guess it has or will have the
same concerns, although perhaps it's a bit less performance critical
since there is no animated content.

While a scene graph is a great approach to cover simple enough needs,
I would be surprised if it could cover such advanced, yet important
and frequent, use cases.

Benoit