List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: plans for a free, OpenGL-based equivalent to Direct2D ?
From:       Thiago Macieira <thiago () kde ! org>
Date:       2010-12-14 11:34:12

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Em Terça-feira, 14 de Dezembro de 2010, às 03:12:19, Benoit Jacob escreveu:
> 2010/12/14 Thiago Macieira <thiago@kde.org>:
> > On Tuesday, 14 de December de 2010 09:01:05 Benoit Jacob wrote:
> >> We target every OpenGL ES 2 device. I am not aware of an OpenVG
> >> implementation that will run (and be well hardware-accelerated)
> >> everywhere there is a OpenGL ES 2 implemetation?
> >
> > You asked for a hardware-accelerated API. But given your current reply,
> > I take that you're looking for a 2D abstraction layer on top of OpenGL.
>
> Right, I'm looking at a 2D library that's accelerated by OpenGL.
> However, "abstraction layer" is not how I would call it, because
> really it's not just about abstraction, it's going to have to
> _implement_ lots of stuff, part of which will have to run on the CPU,
> not on the GPU.  2D is hard in that CPU and GPU tasks tend to be
> intermingled in a way that makes it quite hard to offload to the GPU.

The QML Scene Graph intends to do this, but it's only inteded for QML work.

We are currently not looking at accelerating anything other than QML. For
QPainter-based technology, the current OpenGL/OpenGL ES engine should work
just fine. We've reached diminishing gains already there.

      PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
      E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358