List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Thoughts from a former KDE, currently Mozilla developer
From:       todd rme <toddrme2178 () gmail ! com>
Date:       2010-12-08 14:49:23

On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 3:01 PM, Thiago Macieira <thiago@kde.org> wrote:
> On Tuesday, 7 de December de 2010 20:28:57 Benoit Jacob wrote:
>> So do crash reports now automatically land in a database that's easy
>> to do queries on? (See the web interface provided by Socorro)
>>
>> If I want to get a list of all KDE crashes that happened in libGL.so*,
>> how do I go about that?
>>
>> Regarding backtraces, as I said in my next email, it's not realistic
>> to expect the user to do anything more than click OK, when an app
>> crashed on him. So I think that the -dbg packages rather need to be
>> used by the server.
>
> Server-side debug symbols implies uploading the core file to the server, which
> may contain a variety of interesting information like user passwords, credit
> card numbers, etc. Imagine if kwalletd crashed even.
>
> Not to mention that some core files are quite big to upload and store.

This may be totally infeasible, but what if you did client-side
debugging, but used debugging symbols stored on a server?  The
debugger would grab the parts of the debugging symbols it needs from
the server, do the analysis locally, then submit the results.  That
way there would be no security risk, but people wouldn't have to keep
the debugging symbols installed.

-Todd