List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Thoughts from a former KDE, currently Mozilla developer
From:       Benoit Jacob <jacob.benoit.1 () gmail ! com>
Date:       2010-12-08 14:27:20

2010/12/8 Kevin Ottens <ervin@kde.org>:
>> For smaller commits, it seems reasonable to demand that they don't cause
>> regressions. For larger commits, it won't always be possible to test
>> sufficiently for regressions before committing - there may be too many
>> affected apps if a change is made in the libraries, and a single developer
>> can't be expected to have the time or knowledge to test multiple apps.
>> [...]
>
> I didn't claim that. My point is that at least the unit tests shouldn't show
> any regressions, I never talked about getting to each application and test it
> manually.
>
> Really, running the automated tests before submitting is a low enough price to
> pay, but would improve the quality quite a bit.

Also, you could have a Try-server: a Git repository to which people
can freely push changesets, with a hook so that changes are
automatically built and tested on various platforms, before they push
to the actual 'for real' git repository. See:
https://wiki.mozilla.org/ReleaseEngineering/TryServer
and the results:
http://tbpl.mozilla.org/?tree=MozillaTry

Benoit