List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Thoughts from a former KDE, currently Mozilla developer
From:       Kevin Ottens <ervin () kde ! org>
Date:       2010-12-08 14:22:19

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Wednesday 8 December 2010 15:09:38 David Jarvie wrote:
> On Wed, December 8, 2010 8:38 am, Kevin Ottens wrote:

> >> agreed. care to donate some resources? :)

> >> agreed; people are working on automated unit test set ups for kde. we
> >> have
> >>
> >> more variance than mozilla does however, which means this:

> >> would be great. given our resources and the variety of our targets,
> >> highly unlikely for now. in future, perhaps.

> >> ah, blanket statements. as a rule of thumb: good idea. rigidly followed:
> >> stupid, as it's an awesome way to discourage development contribution.
> >
> > Note that it piggy back to unit tests IMO. If a commit causes a
> > regression caught by a unit test it should be reverted indeed. If that
> > happens it's mainly a problem during the reviewing phase and so on.
> > Going beyond than that
> > could indeed discourage development contribution (unit tests are easy
> > enough to run before you send the patch to be a good compromise).
>
> For smaller commits, it seems reasonable to demand that they don't cause
> regressions. For larger commits, it won't always be possible to test
> sufficiently for regressions before committing - there may be too many
> affected apps if a change is made in the libraries, and a single developer
> can't be expected to have the time or knowledge to test multiple apps.
> [...]

I didn't claim that. My point is that at least the unit tests shouldn't show
any regressions, I never talked about getting to each application and test it
manually.

Really, running the automated tests before submitting is a low enough price to
pay, but would improve the quality quite a bit.

Regards.
--
Kévin Ottens, http://ervin.ipsquad.net