List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Thoughts from a former KDE, currently Mozilla developer
From:       Andreas Pakulat <apaku () gmx ! de>
Date:       2010-12-07 23:23:02

On 07.12.10 14:28:57, Benoit Jacob wrote:
> 2010/12/7 Andreas Pakulat <apaku@gmx.de>:
> > On 07.12.10 11:22:47, Benoit Jacob wrote:
> >> *****
> >> 4. Crash reports handling (KDE: poor, Mozilla: good)
> >>  * Have a look at Socorro, Mozilla's crash report tool:
> >
> > Your info is outdated I think, try out a KDE 4.5 app crashing. Dr.Konqi
> > improved a _lot_ in the last year or so and its being actively worked
> > on. It does a great job at finding duplicates before you file bugs, it
> > tries to gather additional information from the user and allows to
> > attach info to existing reports instead of creating new ones. And IIRC
> > for 4.6 there's going to be support for installing -dbg packages (a note
> > also already exists since some time if the backtraces are lacking
> > debug-symbols) from the distro when they're missing and re-reading the
> > bt.
>
> So do crash reports now automatically land in a database that's easy
> to do queries on? (See the web interface provided by Socorro)
>
> If I want to get a list of all KDE crashes that happened in libGL.so*,
> how do I go about that?

Thats more a problem of the tool we're using to track bugs, there's no
way to tell bugzilla that something is a backtrace and what format it is
in so that one can do more than a plain-text search on it. Also, with
enough debug symbols you won't be able to search for libGL anyway as
the backtrace has references to source files only.

> Regarding backtraces, as I said in my next email, it's not realistic
> to expect the user to do anything more than click OK, when an app
> crashed on him.

I'm sorry, but I as a developer don't want to work with such users
anyway. If a user isn't able or willing to provide information what he
did for the crash to occur or tell me wether its reproduceable then I
don't want to spend time on helping him. On the other hand, if the user
is able/willing to do the above, he surely is able/willing to open his
package manager and select a package or two (where the name is suggested
by dr. konqi already) and then hit the reload button in dr. konqi.

Andreas

--
In the stairway of life, you'd best take the elevator.