List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Thoughts from a former KDE, currently Mozilla developer
From:       Boudewijn Rempt <boud () valdyas ! org>
Date:       2010-12-07 21:39:21

On Tuesday 07 December 2010, Benoit Jacob wrote:
> 2010/12/7 Thiago Macieira <thiago@kde.org>:

> > > If the stack is damaged, then indeed I can't do anything; but that's
> > > not the case in a vast majority of crashes.
> >
> > Who said anything about damaged?
> >
> > The stack can be safe, but require debugging information to find where the
> > previous frame pointer was saved in the frame.
> >
> > Anyway, we need to know which version and build of each and every library in
> > each and every distribution shipping KDE.
>
> I admit not to understand precisely how Socorro handles this, its wiki
> refers to a 'stackwalk server',
> http://code.google.com/p/socorro/wiki/StackwalkServer

I implemented a socorro server and integrated breakpad in the desktop app I developed \
at Hyves. It was rather frightening, especially to maintain. And it seemed to only \
work with binaries you create and distribute yourself -- so fine for Windows and OSX, \
rather difficult for Linux.

--
Boudewijn Rempt | http://www.valdyas.org, http://www.krita.org