List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: How to keep my app's full screen windows out of KWin's alt-tab
From:       Martin =?iso-8859-15?q?Gr=E4=DFlin?= <kde () martin-graesslin ! com>
Date:       2010-11-01 17:09:32

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Monday 01 November 2010 18:02:20 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Monday, November 1, 2010, Martin Gräßlin wrote:
> > Sorry Aaron, we decided against it: http://reviewboard.kde.org/r/3800/
>
> ah, didn't realize that was a "no, never" decision rather than a decision
> in this particular case (e.g. for the dashboard and similar windows).
> that's a bit unfortunate as i bet we'll continue to run into unique
> situations where it is the "right" thing to do from a user's POV.
>
> i do agree that having window roles is better where possible, but i haven't
> yet seen a compelling argument showing that it is possible to get all
> reasonable window roles enumerated for all applications.
>
> this request regarding VMWare is a good example of that, imho.
well, it's also a good example for using a window specific rule (or kwin
script). On the NETWM spec mailinglist the question was also asked with
basically the same reply [1]: out of scope for applications

But I agree more standardized window roles wouldn't hurt ;-)

[1]: http://mail.gnome.org/archives/wm-spec-list/2010-October/msg00001.html