List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: How to keep my app's full screen windows out of KWin's alt-tab
From:       Thomas =?iso-8859-15?q?L=FCbking?= <thomas.luebking () web ! de>
Date:       2010-10-27 19:02:49

Am Wednesday 27 October 2010 schrieb vr@movingparts.net:
> re, all,
>
> In my current work on VMware Workstation and Player, I need to create full
> screen windows to display guest screen contents, but I'd like those full
> screen windows to not show up in KWin's alt-tab list. An example of this
> would be on a 2-monitor host, going into full screen mode and then adding
> the second monitor to the guest display topology so that we now have the
> main Workstation UI window full screened on screen 1 and a second window
> full screened on screen 2. Ideally, only the main Workstation UI window
> would show up in KWin's alt-tab list, and in the pager and desktop window
> list. In my testing thus far, if I set _NET_WM_STATE_SKIP_TASKBAR
> and _NET_WM_STATE_SKIP_PAGER on the secondary (non-main-UI) window,
> Metacity, Compiz, and XFWM4 all also do not show that window in the alt-tab
> list, but KWin does. I also tried setting my secondary full screen window
> to not accept focus, but it is still showing up in KWin's alt-tab list.
>
> Do you guys know what the right way is to do this?
>
> Thanks! =:)

"_NET_WM_STATE_SKIP_TASKBAR  and _NET_WM_STATE_SKIP_PAGER" was interpreted in
KDE3 but removed for causing other issues and actually not "right" at all.

ignoring "no focus" sounds like a bug, but your case sounds like you want a
_NET_WM_TYPE_UTILITY?
(notice that by default (?!) this wind will not be displayed unless either
itself or its client leader -window 1- has the focus)

Thomas