List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: [X-POST] KDE and Google Code-In 2010 -- we need Ideas!
From:       "Gary L. Greene, Jr." <greeneg () altimatos ! com>
Date:       2010-10-27 15:40:21

todd rme wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 12:02 AM, Akarsh Simha <akarshsimha@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Hi everybody,
>>
>> I've attached a file outlining relevant things about Google Code-In,
>> and summarized the stuff discussed in today's meeting on #kde-soc
>> (which was announced mostly on the mentors' mailing list).
>>
>> The application deadline is very soon -- on 29th, and our idea list
>> (http://community.kde.org/GoogleCodeIn/2010/Ideas) is not as
>> well-populated as it should ideally be.
>>
>> Fearing that is mostly because one doesn't know what kind of tasks to
>> come up with, I've attached some quick and easy-to-read information
>> and suggestions that a couple of us compiled from details discussed
>> during the GSoC Mentor Summit 2010 and an IRC meeting held about 6
>> hours ago.
>>
>> Please help us get as many ideas as possible, so that we can bring the
>> success that KDE has been having with SoC to Code-In as well.
>>
>> Regards
>> Akarsh
>> [Proxying for a Lydia who's in transit :)]

>> unsubscribe <<
>>

> Some possibilities (some may be too easy or too hard:
>
> Additional measurement units for qalculate or some other KDE-related unit
> convertor.
>
> Physics demonstrations from your textbook in step
>
> Recreate a certain number of the orbit simulations from the following
> website in step: http://burtleburtle.net/bob/physics/
>
> Implement an additional dictionary backend in the dictionary plasma widget
> (may be too difficult)
>
> A cantor worksheet implementing all of the equations from one chapter in an
> algebra-1 or above textbook
>
> A plasma implementation of the Antikythera mechanism
>
> Implement either collision detection between balls (if this is even
> possible), random brownian motion in individual balls, realistic bouncing of
> non-circular balls, or deformation on bouncing for the plasma bouncy ball
>
> Implement a realistic real-time solar system map, to scale, with zooming, in
> plasma
>
> Reimpliment the NASA JPL Asteroid Watch Widget in plasma:
> http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/asteroidwatch/download.cfm
>
> Implement a new screensaver or plasma wallpaper based on a science or math
> principle.  This could include porting one of the many science or
> math-oriented screensaver to a plasma wallpaper, or making a new one from
> scratch
>
> Extend the plasma calculator to include a scientific, statistic, or numeral
> system mode with all of the functions in the corresponding mode from kcalc.
>
> Implement one of the alternative period table layouts in kalzium.  See here
> for a list: http://www.meta-synthesis.com/webbook/35_pt/pt_database.php

While a cool list, they cannot just copy the equations or physics
demonstrations verbatim from their text books for these to be valid. These
have to be new problems/scenarios that demonstrate the fundamental concepts
that are to be put into Cantor or Step. Main reason for this is that the
problems directly IN their textbook are copyrighted and cannot be used without
the express permission of the publisher/authors. May seem silly, but many of
the textbooks out there have these restrictions on their content. Besides,
coming up with new equations/scenarios will reinforce what they've learnt :)

--
Gary L. Greene, Jr.
Project Lead and Developer for the AltimatOS Project.